Welcome to the Festival of Food Carnival. This month, we celebrate Smoothies and Mocktails! Hosted by Diary of a First Child and Hybrid Rasta Mama, you're welcome to join us next time, or if you have a previously published recipe you'd like to share, add it to the linky below.
This is one in a series of guest posts by other bloggers. Read to the end for a longer biographical note on today's guest blogger, my partner and husband, Crackerdog Sam. From his mighty kitchen arsenal, today Sam offers a dairy-free, sweetener-free summer smoothie containing only four natural ingredients that's sure to refresh both kids and adults.
Guest post by Crackerdog Sam
We were first introduced to watermelon agua fresca (which is simply watermelon liquified in a blender) at a local Mexican restaurant several years ago and fell in love with the simplicity and taste. I, of course, had to experiment with different variations, and I really like this one: The addition of the mango gives it a smoothie consistency.
- 3 cups watermelon cubes (1/4 of a personal watermelon)
- 1/3 cup mango cubes (about 1/2 a mango)
- 1/2 Tbsp fresh cilantro leaves
- 6 ice cubes
Dietary/allergy notes:Vegan, vegetarian, dairy-free, gluten-free, grain-free, egg-free, nut-free, sweetener-free. Well, look at it: It's just fruits and herbs!
Instructions:1) Blend. Serves two.
Crackerdog Sam (that's his hobo name) is a full-time work-from-home parent.
He shares both the working and the parenting of six-year-old Mikko and two-year-old Alrik with Lauren of Hobo Mama.
He is the resident chef extraordinaire and does all the family's (delicious) cooking.
Please take a moment to visit the blogs of our other Festival of Food participants. The links in this list will be live by the end of the day, as participants are all in different time zones.
- Jennifer at Hybrid Rasta Mama shares 5 "Real Food" Style Simple Syrup Recipes For Mocktails! This collection of homemade simple syrups includes fresh ingredients and no refined sugars. You will fall in love with them all! You can also find Jennifer on Facebook.
- Luschka at Keeper of the Kitchen shares a wonderful Summer Mint Cordial. What is more refreshing than mint in summer? This mint cordial is sure to bring some cool to your summery afternoons. You can also find Luschka on Facebook.
- Sam at Hobo Mama offers a vegan, dairy-free, sweetener-free smoothie with just four natural ingredients that's sure to refresh both kids and adults. You can also follow Hobo Mama on Facebook.
- Bianca at The Pierogie Mama shares a few delicious smoothies that use avocado as an ingredient. They are toddler friendly too! You can also find Bianca on Facebook.
- Jennifer at True Confessions of a Real Mommy shares Frozen Green Dream which includes her favorite trick for a quick, satisfying smoothie your kids will run for a cup of! You can also find Jennifer on Facebook.
- Lindy at Poppy Soap Company shares an energizing and refreshing morning grapefruit smoothie. You can also find Lindy on Facebook.
Stay connected! Be sure to "Like" the Festival of Food Carnival Facebook page.