Have you chosen what park to back in the America Is Your Park program? Live Positively will give the winning park a $100,000 recreation grant to improve or maintain a beautiful gathering place for the community. The second- and third-place parks will take home $50,000 and $25,000, respectively. Watch this inspirational video to see what's possible for your personal favorite park:
My favorite is the one steps from our house: Alki Beach Park. Whether yours is a green space, woods, mountains or desert, a playground or a picnic shelter, here's how you can boost your park to take home the grand prize:
Vote at the Live Positively site from now until July 15, 2012.
- After you vote, share with your social network simply by clicking the Share button.
- Set up a Facebook page to spread the word and rally everyone around your park.
- Share regular status updates on Twitter and Facebook about how your park is ranking on the leader board.
- Change your profile pictures to one of the America Is Your Park designs, or use a picture of your park.
Get active in the park, just like usual, and while you’re there, encourage everyone to vote! Each Foursquare check-in from the park earns your favorite park 100 more votes. Take your kids to the playground, go for a walk or run, give your dog a workout …and while you're there, talk to your neighbors to encourage them to vote!
Use the toolkit to help organize your community and empower others to get involved.
- Send emails, letters and tweets to community leaders, park groups, local celebrities and more telling them about the campaign and why your park is so special.
- Print out the flyer found in the toolkit and post it all over your park.
- Ask parkgoers to use their smartphones to cast a vote on the spot! Remember, check-in votes multiply by 100!
- Organize a barbecue or field day and invite everyone to come out to play. Talk to sponsors to give prizes for funny costumes or events like tug-of-war and three-legged races.
- Set up a voting booth while you're there to encourage everyone to cast a vote right then on a smartphone or computer.
Sponsor a community-wide park day!
For more ideas on how to advocate for your community's park, visit Live Positively. For more than 40 years, Coca-Cola has supported efforts to maintain and rebuild parks across the nation. Whether it’s buying new recreation equipment or enhancing activity areas, grants awarded through this family-friendly competition will help improve spaces where people go to play. Use the recreation grant to build up your own neighborhood's gathering space for fun, recreation, community, and an active lifestyle. Campaign for your favorite park today to make it America's Favorite Park!
NO PURCHASE NECESSARY. Only legal residents of the 50 U.S. (and D.C.) who are at least 13 years old and reside within the U.S. at the time of participation are eligible to vote for a Park. Participate on behalf of a Park by: July 15, 2012. The 3 most popular Parks will be offered a grant and there will be 1 Wild Card drawing at the end of the Contest to award an additional grant. To participate, for Official Rules, and complete details including grant descriptions, visit www.LivePositively.com/parks. Void where prohibited.
See my full disclosure policy here.