It might look like I haven't been reading much this week. Shhh. Let's not talk about it, shall we?
- "Blocking Google AdSense formula ads for parenting and breastfeeding sites" from LaurenWayne.com: Cross-promoting this from my blogging blog (yes, there is such a thing), because I think it's very on-topic for all parenting bloggers who are monetizing their sites. If you use Google AdSense and write about anything breastfeeding-related (or, sometimes, even if you don't), the AdSense bots will pick up those keywords, and formula companies will bid on them, and your site will be hosting ads that violate the WHO Code. Total bummer. I haven't been using AdSense ads on Hobo Mama for this reason, but I do have them up on my other blogs, since they're less breastfeeding-specific. My article offers a link list of offending URLs (it's a long'un) and instructions on how to add the list to your AdSense filter. It's not surefire, but it will help cut down on the WHO Code violators using your ad space. I welcome your additions to the list: If you see a Google ad for formula, bottles, or teats/nipples, let me know the specific URL and I will add it to the list to block.
- I love the "Frock by Friday" series from Grosgrain: It's a basic tutorial for sewing a simple dress in a week! You can play along and make the dress at the same time as the other readers, or you can browse the archives and make any of them at any time. You could even play fast and loose with the rules and take longer or shorter than a week.
- "Stay up late? It's probably because you're so darn smart..." from Attachment Parenting Blog: Excellent! I'm not lazy; I'm intelligent.
(P.S. No disrespect intended toward my similarly large-brained morning-lark comrades. It's just you usually get all the accolades.)
- "Gibran, the prophet…" from living peacefully with children: A song version of this, "On Children," by Sweet Honey in the Rock, always inspires me. It's pretty much just exactly what I think about respecting those who are younger. The video below does not have exciting graphics (you're looking at 'em), but it allows you to listen to the song in full, and then you'll most likely want to add it to your mp3 collection. (Am I right, or am I right?)
- "mei tai carriers" from a work in progress...: Look at all the fleece mei tais she whipped up! I'm thoroughly impressed. And I love her son's reactions to having his very own!
- "Parenting as a form of refugee acclimatization: A lens for seeing your children through" — Sam's first guest post on Hobo Mama — and a prime example of why I love having him as a co-parent!
- I have three giveaways going on right now, and one's super-special-secret:
- A WondaWedge Inflatable Back Support Pillow for nursing, pregnancy, reading in bed, & relaxing on the beach. It's a $24 value and is open to my fine U.S. friends.
- An amazing $50 gift certificate at Amy Adele for adorable children's and family personalized notecards, flat cards, invitations, birth announcements, address labels, waterproof labels, onesies, and t-shirts. Also U.S.-centric (with apologies). Enter by Aug. 19.
- The Surprise Hobo Mama Giveaway Deluxe, wherein you will definitely win Hobo Mama calling cards and will be entered into a drawing for other fabulous prizes, as yet unannounced. Soooo mysterious! Open worldwide, baby.
(P.S. I gave away a blog calling card today to a mama I met in the park. So very proud of myself. She was breastfeeding her newborn, and she gave me a midwife recommendation, so I knew it was a good potential match.)
(P.P.S. Just realized if she's reading this, she's going to think it's freaky. Hi! [Waves in a nonthreatening manner.])
You can find more shared items during the week at my public Google Reader recommendations feed.
Check out Authentic Parenting, Baby Dust Diaries, Maman A Droit, Navelgazing, and pocket.buddha for more Sunday Surfing!
Feel free to add your recommendations in the comments. Happy reading!