Any other parents of mondo babies out there? Or parents of munchkins who want to live vicariously? Here's what it's like to have a baby beating landmass records:
- At birth, Karsten was a hearty 10 pounds, 6 ounces. Mikko still has him beat with 11 pounds, 13 ounces. The trend continues: Karsten at 5 months old was 23 pounds to Mikko's 28 at the same age. At nearly 6 months, he's up to 28 (5 pounds gained in 30 days!), and Mikko was up to 30. Either? Is plenty big. Just ask my back.
- I kid you not: He broke my back. For the past week, I've been healing through a muscle spasm that has me nearly laid up.
- Speaking of which, I scheme ways to get out of carrying him. I call Sam for help transporting him down the stairs or when I have to carry absolutely anything else. Glass of water + Karsten = fear of dropping one or both.
- Strangers say: "Wait … how old is he?"
- Most of our grooming revolves around cleaning out folds.
|Must … protect … folds.|
- Drying him off requires two baby towels.
- I realized that babywearing is walking with a weighted vest. No wonder my hips aren't forgiving me.
- Standing up with him is like doing weighted squats.
- Bouncing him is doing biceps curls. Lifting him up is a front shoulder raise. I don't feel buff so much as exhausted.
- We have family bets going on how many chins he'll end up sprouting.
|Whoa. I do not remember enlisting.|
- We've accepted growth charts that are exponential.
- He outgrows clothes daily, sometimes hourly.
- From our experience with Mikko, we know we have a monumental task ahead when he moves into toddlerhood: finding pants that fit his waist & fluffy diaper bum but are not waaaay too long.
|One of these days, a big brother's going to get squooshed.|
- Our bouncy seat has no bounce.
- Our baby swing has swung its last. We can no longer fasten the lap tray over Karsten's thunder thighs. Alrik still fits with room to spare, however!
|Should we keep it around for the skinny 3-year-old?|
- I had to order SUPER LARGE diaper covers off eBay. Not extra large. SUPER.
- The "one size" diaper covers that fit are on their loosest snaps all around.
- We had to switch from infant to toddler prefolds with the diaper service, because the infant ones were no longer covering both crack and spout. Which was a problem.
- He and the three-year-old now share clothes. We're not sure in which room to store them.
|Share and share alike.|
- He has the meatiest thighs you ever did see. I want to eat them up.
|So much to poot.|
- Carrying around Karsten in his infant car seat is a recipe for a dislocated shoulder and/or a hernia. Frankly, we're lucky he still fits in it for a scootch longer.
- BabyLegs can be worn only knee-high. Otherwise, they dig too far into his thigh chunk. We have to use looser toddler socks so they don't leave marks on his cankles.
- When I hand my baby to someone, I preface it with "Brace yourself."
- I can't fit my hand around his calf, his arm, his foot, his knee. I delight in his pudgy fat hands with dimples for knuckles and his plump wrists that blend straight into his arms.
- People like to confirm that he's just breastfed and not being directly injected with lard. When I say yes, they say, "Must be cream!" Yup.
- His cheeks are absolutely irresistible.
|I dare you not to squeeze those cheeks.|
- I imagine his life set to a soundtrack of Roly Poly.
Do you have big or small or average babies or a mix? What do you love about their size?