Welcome to the March 2015 Carnival of Natural Parenting: Day in the Life
This post was written for inclusion in the monthly Carnival of Natural Parenting hosted by Hobo Mama and Code Name: Mama. This month our participants have given us a special glimpse into their everyday.
This month is fun, because I get to give you a peek into what our daily life is like. Sam and I co-parent, co-homeschool, and co-run family businesses. It's an interesting balance!
The day starts before the camera and I are up. Sam wakes early and sneaks downstairs for time by himself to write, a blanket around his shoulders and a glass of coffee at his side.
Meantime, I wake up to this:
And what does this have to do with toast? It's Mikko's and Alrik's current fave. White toast with butter. Hey, at least the butter's grass-fed. I handle the food requests and transition us into our day together.
But, hey, they're this age only once, and the big boys are coping. Mikko is mastering all the Skylanders games (he's impressively good!), and Alrik plays with his Power Rangers and My Little Ponies and Play-Doh and kinetic sand. Meanwhile, I can sneak in a bit of work (like writing this here blog post) while Karsten sleeps and I'm attached.
My next plan was to go outside for a walk and to play on the beach, but my camera was full. No problem, right? Download the photos, and off we go. Uh…my computer didn't get the message. The software wouldn't work, and then the newly downloaded software wouldn't work, and then the baby needed a nap (all dressed in his bunting and ready to head outside), and then the photos finally started downloading but slooooowly. How could I take day-in-the-life pictures without a camera! Argh!
For fun, here's a collage of some of the many things we've done just in the past couple months:
Some highlights: making Valentines and sending to family / Life of Fred / blanket forts / flubber / science & history videos on YouTube / boxes from Green Kids Crafts & Kiwi Crate / German CD from the library / weekly class at the homeschooling co-op / board games / Handwriting Without Tears / drawing, cutting, & pasting / Hidden Pictures / tablet games … oh, and there might have been some baby care thrown in here & there by everyone!
As I mentioned before, take 1-3 of the activities and put them into our typical schedule, and you get a representative day around here.
I snuggle next to a sleeping baby who almost immediately awakes and demands that I nurse him into the night. So it goes! It's nice, though.
And that's our family's day-to-day life right now. What is yours like?
Please take time to read the submissions by the other carnival participants:
(This list will be updated by afternoon March 10 with all the carnival links.)
- A Day as Mama and Data Manager — Becca at The Earthling's Handbook explains what she actually does as data manager of a social science research study, as well as Mama to a baby and a fourth-grader.
- Pictures of a Day — A photo montage of a typical day in the life of Life Breath Present! You can see how she wakes up and spends her time in quiet, to Baby Boy sleeping at dinner, making natural products, and so much more!
- Escaping a Mekong cityscape for a slice of rural life — It's often necessary for Nathalie of Kampuchea Crossings to escape the heady concrete jungle that Phnom Penh is rapidly becoming, for the calmer environment of rural life.
- Community-schooling — Dionna at Code Name: Mama and her family don't *home*school, they *community* school!
- A day in the Life in La Yacata — Read how Survivor and her family at Surviving Mexico Adventures and Disasters spend their Sundays off-grid in rural central Mexico.
- Day in the Life of the Cole Family — Stoneageparent details the everyday life of her family through twelve photos taken over twelve hours
- The Days Are Just Packed — Holly at Leaves of Lavender talks about the beauty and simplicity of daily life with a toddler.
- A Day In The Life of a Heavily Pregnant Naturally Parenting Mama — At 37 weeks pregnant, Sam Vickery of Love Parenting shares her current reality as she naturally parents her four-year-old and awaits her sweet baby.
- My Life in Pictures on a Random Day — Donna at Eco-Mothering captures a random winter day in Rhode Island through a series of snapshots. What seemed boring at first made her smile in the end.
- How One Book Inspired Our Whole Day: A Day in the Life — How to plan the whole day with a toddler after reading one book together from Rachael at B is for Bookworm.
- A day in the life of an unschooling, work-at-home family — Lauren at Hobo Mama shares a picture journey through a typical day with three little homeschooling boys.
- Day in the Life of a Toddler — From mess making to cleaning up to trying new things, All Natural Katie shows the life of a toddler.
- Things I have done today (and every other day for the past seven years) — Marija Smits shares what a 'normal' day looks like in her crazy world of kids, writing, creativity and household chores!
- Just Another Wednesday — Lactating Girl at The Adventures of Lactating Girl shares a glimpse into a typical Wednesday in her family's life.
- Day in the Life — Dr Sarah at Good Enough Mum gives us glimpses of her life as a British GP and mum.
- Our days, these days — Dietary restrictions and health issues take a lot of time for Jessica Claire at Crunchy-Chewy Mama, but she still follows her passions and tries to show up for her kids.
- A (Typical) Day in Our Life — ANonyMous at Radical Ramblings describes a typical day with two kids, eight cats and two dogs.